The danger of nuclear war is imminent in a way the world has not seen for decades, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists warned. The Doomsday Clock is two minutes away from midnight as the United States and North Korea threaten catastrophic human destruction.
Chesapeake PSR supports national Physicians for Social Responsibility's (PSR) Back from the Brink resolution, a call to prevent nuclear war stating we are united in demanding a world free from the threat of nuclear weapons and nuclear annihilation. Specifically, we call on the U.S. to lead in preventing nuclear war by:
- renouncing the option of using nuclear weapons first,
- ending the sole, unchecked authority of any president to launch a nuclear attack,
- taking U.S. nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert,
- cancelling the plan to replace the entire U.S. arsenal with enhanced weapons, and
- actively pursuing a verifiable agreement among nuclear-armed states to eliminate their nuclear arsenals.
The danger is obvious and clear, but so may be the solution: "The failure of world leaders to address the largest threats to humanity’s future is lamentable – but that failure can be reversed," wrote Bulletin editors. Taking the world back from the brink of nuclear war once again may be achievable because of modern technology – the internet and the ability to demand action on a large scale.
We urge individuals and groups in Maryland and Virginia to endorse the Back from the Brink resolution and to share it widely. If you have any questions or would like to get involved in this issue, please contact Chesapeake PSR Executive Director Tim Whitehouse at email@example.com.
• • •